Description: In-class Test
Sat: Session 3
Duration: One hour
Requirements: a pen & some paper
Description: Short Writing Exercise
Completed: By the end of week 3
Length: 500 words
You will be given a short (unseen) piece of travel writing, and asked to write an analysis of it. Here are some of the points you should consider in your discussion of the passage:
- What (in your opinion) is the overall intention of the piece? How can you tell?
- What material does the author focus on? Why do you think this is so?
- How does the author portray him/herself?
- How effectively does the author achieve his/her intentions?
- Give clear quotes or examples to justify your reading.
NB: you should not write a separate response to each of these questions. Write a single answer in essay form, with connected paragraphs, not bullet points.